PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Options

sjjonesnz
12-09-2019, 02:37 PM
I have sent emails to info@/support@/rob@advanced-flight-systems.com over the last 2 months, requesting some thoughts on my upgrade options and am disappointed to say I have heard nothing back, so as a last resort I'll try here before going to another manufacturer.

I have an RV-7 with your AF3500EF and AF3500EM screens, ARINC module and moving map software. Also in my panel I have a TruTrak ADI-Pilot II autopilot, GNS430W, SL30, PMA-8000B and MD200-306. These were all purchased way back in 2007 and I have loved flying with them, although times are changing

rleffler
12-10-2019, 05:48 AM
I have sent emails to info@/support@/rob@advanced-flight-systems.com over the last 2 months, requesting some thoughts on my upgrade options and am disappointed to say I have heard nothing back, so as a last resort I'll try here before going to another manufacturer.

I have an RV-7 with your AF3500EF and AF3500EM screens, ARINC module and moving map software. Also in my panel I have a TruTrak ADI-Pilot II autopilot, GNS430W, SL30, PMA-8000B and MD200-306. These were all purchased way back in 2007 and I have loved flying with them, although times are changing

I've also found that if you are looking for information that may take the recipient significant time to respond via email, just call them directly. I've always found Tricia or Rob more than helpful on the phone to talk about "what-if" scenarios.

If I was in your shoes.....

Upgrade to the largest pair of 5000 series that will fit on your panel.

Remove the ADI-Pilot and servos. Install Dynon servos

You are also going to need to install new ADAHRS and the SV-Network with the 5000 series

The AFS-ARINC module works just fine, but if you want to see holds and procedure turns on the EFIS, you'll need to upgrade to the SV-ARINC.

You'll also need the Dynon EMS.

Keep the GNS430W, SL30, PMA-8000B and MD200-306. Although the MD200 is redundant with the HSI on the EFIS.

You didn't mention anything about your transponder and ADSB. The Dynon ones work great.

This will be most likely your least costly upgrade option considering that AFS will give you credit for your two existing 3500s.

sjjonesnz
12-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the response Bob much appreciated, that's kinda what I'm thinking but also looking to reuse as much as possible to minimise cost as much as possible given the NZ$ ~= US$0.65...

It also seems my actual questions didn't make my original post (my copy and paste must've failed me)...
1) Can the EM components be (easily) transferred to my EF, essentially to create an EE that could then become a secondary display with an AF5xxxx as primary, with the ethernet cable between them as with the AF3500s?? Any issues with that as it'd save me some $$ if I could??
2) Can I reuse the existing AFS engine, OAT, manifold, etc sensors with AF5xxxx screens?
3) Can I reuse the existing TruTrak autopilot servos if I were to install an AFS autopilot?
4) I've been thinking of using Garmin transponder/ADSB as they're certified and NZCAA are currently making that a requirement for entry into controlled airspace. I do want ADSB-IN with info displayed on the AF5xxxx. Any issues with that?
5) What else do I need to be aware of?? (the ultimate catch all :)

Bob mentioned a tradein/credit on my AF3500s, what's the value of that?

rleffler
12-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the response Bob much appreciated, that's kinda what I'm thinking but also looking to reuse as much as possible to minimise cost as much as possible given the NZ$ ~= US$0.65...

It also seems my actual questions didn't make my original post (my copy and paste must've failed me)...
1) Can the EM components be (easily) transferred to my EF, essentially to create an EE that could then become a secondary display with an AF5xxxx as primary, with the ethernet cable between them as with the AF3500s?? Any issues with that as it'd save me some $$ if I could??
2) Can I reuse the existing AFS engine, OAT, manifold, etc sensors with AF5xxxx screens?
3) Can I reuse the existing TruTrak autopilot servos if I were to install an AFS autopilot?
4) I've been thinking of using Garmin transponder/ADSB as they're certified and NZCAA are currently making that a requirement for entry into controlled airspace. I do want ADSB-IN with info displayed on the AF5xxxx. Any issues with that?

Bob mentioned a tradein/credit on my AF3500s, what's the value of that?

I didn’t catch that you were down under......

1. Probably, you’ll want to talk to AFS about that. While I’ve been walked through several other repairs, it isn’t that difficult, especially if you are comfortable with working with circuit cards. I’m an IT guy. However, AFS may want to do that work. If you have to send it back, that would negate any cost savings. I had two 4500s and a 3400 in my RV-10. I upgraded just the two 4500s due to budget constraints. I wished I had upgraded the 3400 at the same time. That will be a project for this year. No issues with data integration, but the UI and feature sets are different.

2. No issues with the sensors. That’s what I did.

3. Yes, but it would be less expensive to buy the Dynon servos, than to buy the AFS Pilot or Trutrak Vizion. Oops, I mean the Bendix/King Walter they changed the name to after the acquisition. Support for Trutrak products has dropped in the US as they now pushed support to a Bendix dealers, most of which don’t want to work on EAB aircraft.

4. You’ll have to ask AFS on this one. I’m not familiar with the Garmin output formats. many of the protocols on the new Garmin gear is proprietary and unique to garmin. If the Dynon/Trig unit is certified in NZ, I would highly recommend it. I know it’s certified in Europe, I don’t know the status in other countries. The 5500 integration is great. It’s all remotely controlled from the EFIS. The Dynon 472 also woks great for ADSB IN.

5. Just read up on the SV network and what are the cabling cabling requirements. The SV network actually makes wiring simpler if building new. You’ll need to determine which wires to remove and what you’ll need to install new. You can buy pre-made cables from AFS, which make the job easy. you’ll must likely will need a sv hub too. Read the V15 install manual. It’s a great source of information and will give you answers to many of your questions.

AFS was giving a discount when upgrading from one of their units. I assume they still are, but you’ll need to ask them. It was either 20% or 25%. I can’t remember.

Shawn McGinnis
12-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Bob has great information here I'll try to fill in some other bits. I did find your email in the spam section of the support@ account. The email headers looked clean with a neutral spf so not sure why it was rejected.

1) Can the EM components be (easily) transferred..
The EMS can be moved to the other screen. This is done in house as the unit needs to be calibrated once its moved. If you plan to upgrade to AF-5000 series I would highly recommend considering switching to the SV-EMS-220. The best part of the Dynon external modules is that you don't have to send in the whole screen in for repair. Horsham Aviation in Victoria, AU should have modules in stock to minimize AoG.

2) Can I reuse the existing ... sensors with AF5xxxx screens?
The only ones we currently recommend switching is the VDO Oil and Fuel pressure sensors. We have fully moved to the Kavlico's 3 wire sensors. They seem to have more long term stability and are less error prone.

Does your Trutrak fly with the EFIS already? If so no reason not to use it. If you are thinking of upgrading the Trutrak head then it might be worth the cost compare between two new Dynon servos.

4) ...using Garmin transponder/ADSB ... Any issues with that?
Garmin has not released their ADS-B In protocol used for the new line of transponders. We can still provide altitude to the Garmin transponder. For ADS-B in we have the SV-ADSB-472.

Pitot and static will need to be routed to the old magnetometer install location and will be replaced with the new SV-ADAHRS-200.

6) ... tradein/credit on my AF3500s, what's the value of that?
25% off a new EFIS with EFIS trade-in, and 25% off new AHRS with AHRS trade-in.

sjjonesnz
03-05-2020, 12:41 AM
Thanks Shawn, so I'm now looking at upgrade steps and with all the hype that's going around about viruses the NZ$ has absolutely tanked, so am thinking maybe doing the upgrade in a couple of phases...install ADSB-Out (probably GTX335) and smaller stuff this year and then replace the screens and do ADSB-IN when the exchange rate returns to a nicer number. Soooo now for a bunch of silly questions...

Is the SV-EMS-220 compatible with E*3500's? What about SkyView Network components? My gut tells me they're not, but I've gotta ask :)
How deep are the AF5x00 screens?
How do I get a better copy of the AF-5000 SV System Diagram that's on page 12 of the AF-5000 Installation Manual?

Shawn McGinnis
03-11-2020, 11:50 AM

SV-EMS-220 requires a AF-5000T hardware.

AF-5000's need about 6" behind the panel or 4" if you use 90

sjjonesnz
05-07-2020, 04:30 AM
Hi Shawn, will my AF3500EM share engine data with an AF5600 over the ethernet cable?

I'm just being lazy, but I don't s'pose you have any wiring diagrams for an AF5600/SL30/GNS430W/GTX335 combination do you?

Shawn McGinnis
05-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Yes the 3500 will share its engine data over ethernet to the 5000.

I don't have an exact match but you will want the ARINC wiring like this:
mixed with the rest of this

sjjonesnz
05-27-2020, 08:58 PM
That's great, thanks Shawn