PDA

View Full Version : New Feature Request ? - Displaying Electronic Ignition Timing

shuttle
08-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't think you currently offer this function.

Wondered if AFS would consider incorporating the display of EI timing data in the EM boxes ?

I appreciate that there are a number of different EI manufacturers that no doubt provide their data in different ways/formats but I would suspect, in the big scheme of things, that it's not that difficult to do.

Personally, I'll be using a Lightspeed PLASMA III and did give some thought to buying the LCD display unit that Lightspeed offer, but I cannot justify dedicating that much panel real estate for this piece of information. However, I'd gladly run the wire from the EI box to the EMS to get the number displayed there. According to the Lightspeed manuals, the timing data signal is a variable voltage output of .01 Volts per degree of advance.

My thinking about this again was prompted by a thread on VAF where an EI box appears to have gone bad resulting in excessively high CHTs/EGTs so I do feel there is real user benefit to having the EMS display EI timing. ( http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=56519 )

I would appreciate you giving this your consideration.

Thanks and Regards,
Steve Hutt

jrouault
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Ditto. I have dual LightSpeed Plasma III's

lcbowen
08-18-2010, 05:26 PM
+1, as I requested previously. I have dual LSI Plasma II's.

Deene
08-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Me too...I have a Lightspeed and a discrete on panel display, but would prefer the advance value displayed near the MP...

As the LS output is a low level analog signal, I'm not sure there is an existing interface that could be used. As a retired EE, I would be glad to do any signal conditioning required (and make it available to you and users).

amekler
08-20-2010, 06:14 AM
how about displaying the mag check drop ?
alan

kentb
08-20-2010, 11:04 AM
how about displaying the mag check drop ?
alan

Humm, how would you do that? Press a button on the EFIS to let it know that you are going to be doing a mag check?

Doesn't seem practical.

Kent

amekler
08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Kent,
In my Mooney I have a horizon digital electric tach. It continuously monitors each mag and when going from both to left or right displays the drop.
http://www.horizoninstruments.com/
Alan

TrueAirSpeed
08-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Gotta put in a request for Pmag monitoring too!

amekler
08-22-2010, 12:53 PM
add to my wish list a separate HSI display below the ADI(like on the G1000). Much easier to read.
Alan

kentb
08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Kent,
In my Mooney I have a horizon digital electric tach. It continuously monitors each mag and when going from both to left or right displays the drop.
http://www.horizoninstruments.com/
Alan
Interesting, I could see that as useful. I don't think that it could be done with a software only change. A second tach sensors would need to be added to do this. Maybe there is an unused sensor input in the box already?

Kent

shuttle
09-04-2010, 04:15 AM
I don't think you currently offer this function.

Wondered if AFS would consider incorporating the display of EI timing data in the EM boxes ?

I would appreciate you giving this your consideration.

Thanks and Regards,
Steve Hutt

Hey AFS,
Would appreciate your comments on the original request.
Regards,
Steve Hutt

Trevor Conroy
09-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Steve. I've forwarded your request to our software engineers. From what I understand it would not be possible with the current hardware configuration. We've added it to our list of future features

shuttle
09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Trevor,
Thank you very much. I'll watch this space.
Cheers,
Steve