PDA

View Full Version : OAT probe location

lux wrangler
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Where are people mounting the OAT probes? I am building an RV-7 and I placed the probes under the wings, outside of the prop wash. I don't think that, with less than 10 feet of length of harness going to the probes, I can reach far enough. Can I splice onto the shielded harness? I would have paid a few dollars more for a couple of more feet of wire.

sjjonesnz
08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I have mine next to the most outboard inspection cover under the left wing on my RV-7, splicing into the harness for the extra length wasn't an issue :-)

lux wrangler
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
splicing into the harness for the extra length wasn't an issue - sjjonesnz

Did you splice the shield too?

sjjonesnz
08-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, if I remember correctly.... :-)

TrueAirSpeed
08-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Ditto here.

Trevor Conroy
08-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Out on the wings is indeed the best location. Do ensure you join shields together if you extend the probe wires.

rwayne
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Do you think being in the prop wash would affect the OAT probe? It would certainly be easier to mount more inboard.

Trevor Conroy
08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Yes, it will. It is best to mount the OAT probe in such a location that the prop wash won't affect it that much. We've mounted them about 2 ribs outboard from the wing root in the RV-10 and they are working well.

lux wrangler
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
It would certainly be easier to mount more inboard. - rwayne

Well, in hindsight, it would be easier: if I hadn't drilled holes in my wing and mounted the probes at what seemed like a good location to me; only to much later receive a harness which is shorter than I imagined it would be. Some other legs of the harness are plenty long. At some point I find myself making decisions without all the information. If I always waited until I know everything before proceeding, I wouldn't be in these situations. But then, I probably also would never finish the project; waiting until I knew everything first.

NoahF
08-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I agree Lux, they do need to increase the length of the OAT portion of the harness. I haven't terminated mine yet but it is going to be a couple of feet too short for me - kind of a pain to have to lengthen it, especially since I don't have any of the shielded cable and will probably have to order a minimum quantity from Spruce in order to complete the installation. It is kind of annoying to pay good money for a harness and then have to splice it to make it work, when another $.79 worth of wire during manufacture would make it work without splices, which, after all are more potential failure points. Turns out the hall effect current sensor also only comes with a 30 inch lead - definitely not long enough to go from the alternator B lead to the AFS box. Just one of my pet peeves I guess...