PDA

View Full Version : Australia - Current mapping data sources for AFS3500 and AFS3400

ian.orrman@gmail.com
08-21-2018, 08:12 AM
I am keen to update my mapping data on my Sportsman installed AFS3500 and AFS3400.

Ozrunways are offering mapping data configured for Dynon.
With AFS and Dynon linked, are the data formats the same?

https://ozrunways.com/store/dynon/

If not, can you assist in finding a reasonably priced and straight forward solution to current mapping data for my AFS system?

Regards

Ian Orrman
Perth, Australia

Shawn McGinnis
08-21-2018, 09:37 AM
The legacy devices are running AFS's map data design. Currently, the only vendor for international data is Jeppesen. We are planning a transition to Dynon map data for the AF-5000 series displays.

ian.orrman@gmail.com
08-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Shaun,
As Dynon already have an arrangement with Ozrunways, surely you could supply Ozrunways with the AFS map data format our systems require?
This would be a simple solution to providing all your Australian users with legacy systems a current and affordable map update route.

This is the primary draw back with AFS systems outside the USA (or at least in Australia / however I suspect much of the smaller markets face the same issue). All of my fellow Sportsman owners with AFS systems are still running the original mapping data supplied with the system. So we have a fancy EFIS system with mapping and airfield data that is 5 to 10 years old. Hardly ideal.

This is due to the fact that the Jeppesen update is complex to complete and expensive.

I would appreciate some consideration and positive action to assist us on this issue, not simply a fob off again.

ian.orrman@gmail.com
09-12-2018, 06:53 AM
Shaun,
As Dynon already have an arrangement with Ozrunways, surely you could supply Ozrunways with the AFS map data format our systems require?
This would be a simple solution to providing all your Australian users with legacy systems a current and affordable map update route.

This is the primary draw back with AFS systems outside the USA (or at least in Australia / however I suspect much of the smaller markets face the same issue). All of my fellow Sportsman owners with AFS systems are still running the original mapping data supplied with the system. So we have a fancy EFIS system with mapping and airfield data that is 5 to 10 years old. Hardly ideal.

This is due to the fact that the Jeppesen update is complex to complete and expensive.

I would appreciate some consideration and positive action to assist us on this issue, not simply a fob off again.

Can I request a reply?

Shawn McGinnis
09-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Ian,

That would be a decision for Ozrunways. If they wanted to supply the data they are more then welcome to contact us about it. I helped get AvPlan EFB generate chart data for the AF-5000 series but none of the vendors have been interested in generation our mapping data except one Russian outfit.

As I mentioned before we will be working on integrating the Dynon Map format into the AF-5000 series displays. If you were able to find 's' processor displays you would be able to use the PocketFMS database but the Non-S didn't have that capability.