PDA

View Full Version : AFS 5600 and Non-listed transponder

PAN-Denmark
01-08-2017, 05:00 AM
Hi,
I have a Dittel KTX2 Mode-S ES transponder. It should be able to be controlled and connected to various devices through the Com port.
I have connected it to Com2, and tried all the installed transponder types but can't get it to connect.

I have most luck with AFS/Dynon where I get responses in the diagnostics ""** - Deleted** x**Deleted" - however it's not the correct response as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts ? The transponder communicates either with 4800 or 9600 Baud rates. I have tried with both rates - on 4800 nothing gets through.

I will add other images in the thread (if possible).

PAN-Denmark
01-08-2017, 06:58 AM
This is what I see in self-diagnosis.

Shawn McGinnis
01-09-2017, 01:52 PM
The KTX2's manual only describes the RS232 as the certified ADSB+ GPS position that you would get from a GPS/NAV receiver.

From the manual:
[QUOTE]A serial interface (RS232) is provided for GPS-Position data (ADS-B or / and remote control), see 2.10.1.5. As data format for GPS the standard NMEA-stream containing the RMC sub-format is required. For remote control additional sub-formats like the RMC should be inserted into the NMEA data stream. This format is presently not implemented and it needs to be defined.[QUOTE]

It sounds like they may be working on a remote schema but it's not part of the AF-5000.

Additionally, because we don't have a certified GPS output available (ADSB+) hooking it to the EFIS doesn't create a legal certified ADS-B Out transponder so you probably don't want the AF-5000 to control it.

The only transponders we have supported in the AF-5000 for remote control are the Sandia STX 165R, and the SV-XPNDR-261.

PAN-Denmark
01-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Hello,
As I can understand the Transponder can receive GPS data from EFIS or other GPS-device in the RMC format. Is AFS not supporting the NMEA/RMC format ?
The GPS is not so important for me, but remote control of the transponder would be really convenient - I am just wondering if it's possible to get access to the command line format that Sandia or SV-XPNDR are using... an example that I have for the Dittel is how to set ALT mode followed by checksum XOR over all characters:
#KT,M,2,*hh<CR><LF>
It's of course acknowledged by an "a" for correct or "x" for failed...
I am not at liberty to share more about the format but can you confirm if this would work or not ?
Can you let me know if AFS EFIS is communicating on 4800 or 9600 Baud ?
regards
Per

Shawn McGinnis
01-11-2017, 05:27 PM
If you aren't concerned with a certified transponder position source our EFIS sends RMC messages using AVTN/NMEA (RMB,RMC,GGA,GSA,GGL,VTG) 1Hz 9600.

The remote control for the Sandia is similar with something like #XX A,A,0000<CR>