PDA

View Full Version : Does Navworx supply position source?

jwyatt
07-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Does the Navworx box (specifically the 600-EXP but I assume the data stream is the same as the 600-B) feed GPS data to the system via the serial port, or does it only send weather and traffic data? Wondering if the unit, since it has a built-in GPS, might replace my existing GPS-18 module for position data.

Shawn McGinnis
07-29-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't think the NavWorx has a way to output the GPS information into the EFIS. The ADS-B information is using its only RS-232 output.

jwyatt
07-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks Shawn. I just wasn't certain if the ADS-B data stream included position data or not. It's looking like the Navworx may be the easiest/most economical path for a 4500s system, but I'm out of serial ports so something else will need to be disconnected.

rleffler
08-01-2016, 07:12 AM
There are some new features in the latest software release, but they are being delivered via ARNIC. To be honest, I haven't even looked to see what the 4500 may or may not support, since my current configuration is meeting my needs. I've got three screens, so I have plenty of serial ports.

Shawn McGinnis
08-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Joshua, what is your current serial port setup? I may be able to find a combination that will work.

jwyatt
08-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Joshua, what is your current serial port setup? I may be able to find a combination that will work.

Shawn, sorry I missed your reply earlier. Thanks for taking a look.

My current setup -- I have a single AF-4500s with EFIS, Engine, and AOA boards.
Serial port setup as follows...
1 - VPX Pro
2 - Icarus to GTX327
3 - CO Guardian 455 CO/O2
4 - Garmin GPS18-5Hz (AF-GPS)

I would like to add:
ARINC to Trutrak Vizion 385
ADS-B trfc/wx (looking like Navworx or Freeflight)

If there's a better way to get any/all of this connected short of buying an entire new system, let me know!

I talked to Ken at Oshkosh and we figured that everything could be hooked up (plus my SL40 and Wifi to Foreflight) to a single screen if I upgraded to a 5000-series system and used the SV-ARINC module, but since I have the internal AHRS and EMS boards, that would be a costly proposition, since if I understand it correctly I would need new ADAHRS, EMS, and GPS modules in addition to the screen itself. I'm considering adding a 5500 as a second screen, using data from my 4500.

Shawn McGinnis
08-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Best option for your current wiring would be to move the ICARUS output to serial #4 and use NMEA/ICARUS. Then disconnect the CO Guardian and use its switched outputs into the 4500's general purpose inputs to show CO and O2 warnings. Then wire the ARINC to serial #2 and the ADS-B to serial #3.

jwyatt
08-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Best option for your current wiring would be to move the ICARUS output to serial #4 and use NMEA/ICARUS. Then disconnect the CO Guardian and use its switched outputs into the 4500's general purpose inputs to show CO and O2 warnings. Then wire the ARINC to serial #2 and the ADS-B to serial #3.

Aha, I had forgot that the CO Guardian had a relay output for the CO alarm. Nothing for the SpO2 sensor, but the CO is the important one ... I think this'll work, and gets basically everything into the existing screen. Thanks Shawn!