PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B traffic symbols

jkgoblue
05-17-2016, 01:51 PM
I just installed the Navworx 600-exp ADS-B box and have a question on the SVN display of traffic. The AFS manual says there are only 2 symbol possibilities, the clear black diamond box as "proximity traffic" and a yellow circle as "traffic advisory". But I'm seeing yellow diamonds, sometimes with numbers in them and sometimes with an arrow next to it. What does this mean? No where is this explained in the manual. Is there a better explanation somewhere or will the manual be updated to better explain the symbology ?

I thought there was a video detailing this but I can't find one.

jkgoblue
05-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Just to be clear, I know what there arrows and numbers mean, just the difference between a clear diamond vs yellow. Plus I don't see any yellow circles. And should the numbers have a - or a + next to it?

olefish
05-20-2016, 08:23 AM
I just installed the Navworx 600-exp ADS-B box and have a question on the SVN display of traffic. The AFS manual says there are only 2 symbol possibilities, the clear black diamond box as "proximity traffic" and a yellow circle as "traffic advisory". But I'm seeing yellow diamonds, sometimes with numbers in them and sometimes with an arrow next to it. What does this mean? No where is this explained in the manual. Is there a better explanation somewhere or will the manual be updated to better explain the symbology ?

I thought there was a video detailing this but I can't find one.

I am also wondering about what appears to be the random yellow diamonds with black single digit numbers. I am interfaced with a Garmin TCAS system and these diamonds don't appear to have any relationship with the Garmin traffic screen, nor with the screen on the 4500. Only seems to be on the 5000 series screen. They do not stay put either.

jkgoblue
05-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Yup. That's what I'm talking about. It would be nice to have some explanation somewhere.

jkgoblue
05-26-2016, 04:07 PM
There seems to be differences in target data between the map view and synthetic view. The attached photo shows the target at -10 in the map view but in the SV view, has a yellow diamond with a 4 in it. Why is there a difference? Where is the target really?

larco
05-26-2016, 07:28 PM
If I understand your question correctly, per my understanding the target should be 1000 feet below and 4 miles away. Larry

jkgoblue
05-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Ohhhh... ok, finally someone explained it. Does that what the 4 means? It's 4 miles out? What about the downward arrow right of the 4? Does that mean below me or descending?

Can't find any of this in the manual.

Thanks.

larco
05-27-2016, 03:07 PM
I believe it means the traffic is descending. Larry

jkgoblue
05-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks Larry. Now it makes sense. I'm also not sure what the difference is between a white diamond vs. white outlined box means in the map display. I'm assuming it's proximity traffic vs. traffic advisory but not sure.

larco
05-28-2016, 03:38 PM
My plane will be down due to mag service for a couple of weeks, will go fly and refresh my memory. If no answer turns up I’ll report back on this forum. Larry

Shawn McGinnis
06-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Traffic is drawn on synthetic vision showing the number of nautical miles to the target from 1 to 9 and blank after.
Target 1 is 1 NM away and currently +2 hundred feet above my current altitude, climbing, and the next two minutes is projected to follow the orange line.
Target 2 is 9 NM away, also +2 hundred feet above my current altitude, and in two minutes should be following the river.

rleffler
06-08-2016, 05:27 AM
Shawn,

Is the first illustration unique to the 5000 series? On my 4500, I see circles that get larger the closer they are, but no mileage indicators.

thanks,

bob

jkgoblue
06-13-2016, 08:39 AM
This may have been asked before but how do you get the N numbers of the target to be displayed?

rleffler
06-13-2016, 08:50 AM
This may have been asked before but how do you get the N numbers of the target to be displayed?

The other aircraft has to have ADSB out.

jkgoblue
06-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Yes for sure but my Stratus shows the same target with an N number while the Navworx unit does not show it on my 5600. I don't know if it's a Navworx setting or an AFS setting.

rleffler
06-16-2016, 05:23 AM
Yes for sure but my Stratus shows the same target with an N number while the Navworx unit does not show it on my 5600. I don't know if it's a Navworx setting or an AFS setting.

I have 4500s, but I don't recall there being a N# setting on either side.

You can always turn on debug mode on that serial port and take a look at the data the navworx unit is sending the efis. It will store the output file on your sd card. I think it's stored in ascii text, but my memory may be incorrect. I'm sure that Rob/Ken/Shawn will correct me if I'm wrong.

jkgoblue
06-22-2016, 09:02 AM
I did get a response from Ken at AFS. Turns out it's a little bit of both:

"The ADS600 should provide tail numbers for most but not all aircraft on the AF-5600. You will want to make sure the ADS600 is set to 115200 baud and the corresponding serial port function in the AF-5600 is set to 'ADSB 115K'. Also you will need to enter your own tail number and mode S code in the Transponder section of calibration. If you are not using the AF-XPNDR-261 you will want to set the Enable/Disable field to DISABLED."

jkgoblue
06-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Oh and a new system software came out last week in case anyone missed it.

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/AF-5600/AF5600support.html

larco
06-22-2016, 01:19 PM
And this update does definitely improve the ADSB target strength. Before the update I would lose traffic descending into a local mountain airport, KPAN, now I see traffic all the way in to KPAN, even during their roll out. :-) Larry
I have the AFS/Dynon 978 in traffic system. Thanks AFS