PDA

View Full Version : AF-5800T and 4500 Deck communication

ugarph1982
12-13-2015, 05:53 PM
We have a 5800T and 4500 Deck installed in an RV-10. The 2 units are set up to share quite a bit of information, and for the most part, do so very well. The two systems successfully sync heading bug, barometer settings, engine monitoring data, etc.

My question concerns flight director mode settings. Basically, if we are using the AP touch interface on the 5800T and we switch from HDG mode to NAV mode (sourced from a GTN 650), the flight director on the 5800T will change from HDG (yellow) to NAV GPS (magenta) if we are within 30 degrees in heading of the original course selection. The problem is, that change does not automatically take effect on the 4500. In order to switch flight director modes on the 4500, we must navigate to EFIS --> AP/FD --> LAT NAV Arm ... Only then will the flight director on that screen switch to match the mode of the 5800T and show the same information.

Why is this an issue? If we are flying around in a busy terminal area in lousy weather being vectored and given direct-to instructions, we don't want to have to make mode changes on both screens. Suppose the 5800T rolled over dead and we had to switch our view over to the 4500, that screen could be in a different mode giving us bad navigational information. Not a great time for confusion.

Has anyone else had success with making this automation occur? Is this something in the Instrument Calibration screens on the 4500? Perhaps something else silly of which we aren't aware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more specifics, please let me know!

Shawn McGinnis
12-14-2015, 04:04 PM
The AF-4500 is unable to register the autopilot controls from the AF-5000 series. In the event of the loss you would probably lose communication with your primary nav radio and autopilot anyways.

I've put the request into our system but its unlikely that this would become a feature. The real way would be to upgrade the AF-4500 to an AF-5000 series display.