PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet hub help

dougweil
05-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi Rob:

I am just beginning the installation of my dual screen 4500EF (in a 3500 box) and 3500EM. I also have the XM weather module with the POE option). Can you explain the routing of the ethernet cables between these three components. I think I need a small ethernet hub.. can you recommend one (smaller the better)

Thanks,

Doug Weiler
Hudson, WI
RV-7 under construction

rleffler
05-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi Rob:

I am just beginning the installation of my dual screen 4500EF (in a 3500 box) and 3500EM. I also have the XM weather module with the POE option). Can you explain the routing of the ethernet cables between these three components. I think I need a small ethernet hub.. can you recommend one (smaller the better)

The best one you can get from Stein (http://www.steinair.com/accessories.htm). Although any switch will work, but most of the home units are 9v.

bob

DONVS
05-30-2010, 08:51 PM
And you can not use the poe for power. You will also need the xm power cable. No one makes a POE hub that will run on 12 volts.

ArjanPlomp
05-31-2010, 07:48 PM
I purchased what the manual (page 32) states: Cisco/Linksys SD 205. $30 on Amazon. Metal case, 12V, works like a charm on my XM weather, 3400EE & 3400EF. No need to spend $120 more. I connected XM's power and this ethernet switch to my avionics master, the 3400EE&3400EF are connected to my main bus.
This implies that the units do not talk to eachother when the avionics master is off (i.e. on engine startup). It also means that the ethernet switch and XM weather unit are protected from voltage anomalies on startup and shutdown.

As the previous post suggests: do not waste your time researching POE. I already did....just hookup the power wire for the XM module.

dougweil
06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys. I somehow overlooked that reference in the manual. This switch looks small and compact and should work fine. I'll order one today.

Doug