PDA

View Full Version : Wind Indicator not displayed

alan stewart
11-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Hi
Please help I have a AF3400 with a garmin 296 and a garmin 420 connected. ( I have a toggle switch so as to choose which GPS data is being sent to the EFIS)
The EFIS is getting all the GPS data (checked and both GPS units info is being sent to the EFIS when toggled) .
The issue is that all of a sudden the wind direction arrow has disappeared. I have checked in the settings and WIND is turned ON.

Not sure what else to check.

thanks in advance
Alan Stewart
Sportsman ZU-VON (factory built )

Rob Hickman
11-03-2014, 10:05 AM
If it is an older AF-3400 non S CPU it could be that the clock battery is going dead.

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Forum2/showthread.php?953-Changin-the-clock-NVRAM-battery-in-AF-3500-non-quot-S-quot-CPU

alan stewart
11-04-2014, 03:53 AM
Hi
Thanks very much , i think you are correct as the clock is also not working correctly, we are about to replace the battery ,will report back on result.
Thanks again for advice

alan stewart
11-10-2014, 05:21 AM

Hi
battery replaced ,but the wind arrow and the information still do not appear ,Please help.
Alan

alan stewart
11-10-2014, 05:22 AM
Sorry forgot to mention the picture was taken whilst in flight clearly showing the problem. GPS is connected and working

alan stewart
11-12-2014, 07:31 AM
please help

Shawn McGinnis
11-12-2014, 02:36 PM
The EFIS uses the E6B calculations as found at:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/e6bcalc.html

If you can log the values for:
Ground Speed
True Airspeed
Course
Heading

Then run them through the calculator to see if you get a reasonable result.

You may have a heading error, GPS error, or airspeed error that is causing the problem.

alan stewart
11-17-2014, 05:34 AM
Hi thanks for reply.
The thing is it worked a few weeks back , NOW the wind direction arrow is missing ,and the values are also missing .
What error should I check for in Heading ,GPS or air speed. On the weekend we re-calibrated the heading following the on screen instructions, so heading is working and calibrated .

Why all of a sudden would it stop working ,from one flight to the next ?
Cheers

Shawn McGinnis
11-17-2014, 09:50 AM
What were the values during the error in the calculator above?

alan stewart
11-20-2014, 02:20 AM
Hi. the picture i posted was whilst we where flying ,you can clearly see that there is no wind arrow and the other info is not being displayed. before the info stopped showing it was quite accurate. We did not fiddle in the main menu but yet the info stopped. the magnetometer has been calibrated , the air speed is correct , we know the unit is getting a GPS signal as the pink line and info is being displayed.
(we have a second gps also connected with a toggle switch and have confirmed that the unit is receiving the gps info by switching between gps devices)

I am not sure how to answer your question , there are no values being displayed (see picture) .As i stated above previously the info was accurate.
Is there maybe a setting deep in the setup menu that we could check ?
please help
Thanks in advance
alan stewart

Rob Hickman
11-20-2014, 09:52 AM
We have not been able to duplicate the problem, please test the following:

1. Turn on the Altitude and Airspeed bugs

2. Try setting the Baro units to In-Hg as a test

jgold
11-27-2014, 01:10 PM
I have the exact same problem. It also cropped up immediately after I replaced the clock battery. Everything else displays correctly (AS, TAS, ALT, OAT, TRK, SPD, CRS), so I believe everything is configured properly (communications with my GNS430W, etc). The wind "display" is present, but, as shown above, the values are all "-" (no numbers).

jgold
11-28-2014, 04:38 PM
I forgot to mention in my reply yesterday that this problem occurred with the altitude and airspeed bugs turned on, and the baro units set to in-Hg.

Rob Hickman
11-30-2014, 09:26 PM
What version of software are you running?

Have you tried doing a Set NVRAM Defaults from the Calibration ADMIN menu?

jgold
12-02-2014, 06:31 PM
I believe I'm running the latest software available for the "old-CPU 3500," but I don't know the version; I'll check when I get out to my hangar Friday or Saturday. No, I have not tried doing a Set NVRAM Defaults (should that be an obvious thing to try?); I'll try that my next opportunity.

Rob Hickman
12-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Call me from the plane.

alan stewart
12-04-2014, 06:35 AM
Hi
Ok so test flew it the other day turned on bugs as you recommend and change baro to in-hg, nothing changed still no wind info OR direction arrow.
Confirm latest software.
will try the setting you recommended " NVRAM Defaults from the Calibration ADMIN menu?"

Cheers

jgold
12-06-2014, 10:32 AM
With Rob's help, I tried a "Set NVRAM Defaults" yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to fly since then (and the weather today isn't great again). I'll report whether or not this helped at my earliest opportunity (which might be a week or so).

jgold
12-27-2014, 03:38 PM
I finally had a chance to fly again, and to my delight the wind display is working again. The "Set NVRAM Defaults" operation did the trick.

George
01-08-2015, 08:12 AM
I have almost the same problem except that mine are intermittent even in straight and level cruise. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. Fresh battery. Should I Set the NVRAM Defaults or will that mess up previous programming?

Rob Hickman
01-08-2015, 09:35 AM
It does not display if it is a direct cross wind or no wind.

stickandrudderman
01-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Why wouldn't you want to display a direct cross wind?

amekler
01-11-2015, 01:00 PM
i think it has to with the calculation used. on a direct cross wind there is inaccuracy so nothing is displayed
alan

Bigglesrv7a
03-25-2015, 05:40 AM
I have the same issue after recently changing my internal battery on my unit. Ie All GPS data is working except for the wind information. Does anyone know if there are any precautions to using the 'Set NVRAM default from calibration menu?

Cheers, Greg

Shawn McGinnis
03-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Make sure you write down your autopilot gain settings before use.

Let me know if you have any more questions that I can help with.

Bigglesrv7a
03-26-2015, 06:08 AM
Thanks Shawn, I don't have an AFS auto pilot (TT Digiflight 11) so hoping all will be ok to set default. I will take a look next time I am out at the hangar. With thanks, Greg

Rob Hickman
04-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Try doing a set NVRAM defaults from the Calibration menu, you will need to reset the pages and knobs menu and autopilot settings after doing it.

Bigglesrv7a
04-14-2015, 12:05 AM
Hi Rob, I finally got out to the hangar to take a look at my problem. I may be missing something though in the calibration menu, I cannot see anything detailed as 'NVRAM defaults'. For clarity I have the non 'S' type 3400 EFIS's so hoping you could still point me in the right direction to remedy the issue. I have two screens and one screen has the wind ok and the other screen although it clearly has GPS information fed to it from my GPSMAP-495, the wind calculation is blank on the screen. As always appreciate your expertise and advice. Cheers, Greg

Shawn McGinnis
04-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Here is the process to reset your NVRAM settings:

Write down your autopilot gain settings
CHECK -> MAINT -> ADMIN -> Hold CALIBRATION
SELECT into Admin Settings
NEXT down to Administrator Mode
ADJUST the number to 1010
NEXT down to Set Clock NVRAM Defaults
SELECT to RESET
PREV to Administrator Mode
ADJUST the number to 1011
SELECT to clear admin mode (Remaining in Admin mode is unsafe. All sorts of things happen without user interaction)
RETURN to EFIS mode
Re-enter your autopilot gain settings

Bigglesrv7a
04-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks Shawn and Rob.......! With the steps provided above all is now back to working normally. Cheers, Greg