PDA

View Full Version : Lost clock battery inside AF-3500 EFIS!

N184EW
08-26-2014, 08:09 PM
This is slightly embarrassing and very frustrating. I changed the clock battery after 5 years because it was no longer remembering the time/date. In the process of extracting the old battery, I managed to drop it in the EFIS. I saw it off to one side and decided to tip it over and lightly shake it. The battery somehow disappeared inside and I don't hear it shaking around, even after getting pretty aggressive with it. I figured it was either lodged in somewhere or it actually did fall out without me realizing it. After combing the hanger floor and shaking and inspecting the EFIS some more (including looking inside the backup battery cover). I gave up and reinstalled the EFIS after installing a new battery. I noticed two things after a flight around the pattern: the heading is maybe 30 degrees off now (maybe recalibrate?), but more concerning is two shapes in the upper screen flickering on and off at a high frequency. I assume the battery is still in there and causing a problem. Is there any way to take it apart without messing it up?

N184EW
08-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Nevermind, I got it out. But the EFIS is still messed up :(