PDA

View Full Version : eliminating yourself as the display

vic syracuse
06-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Rob, with one flight in the pattern only, the display was showing a big yellow ball in the EFIS which appeared to be ourself as the target. We are using the 5600 and the GTX 33 ES remote transponder and your ADSB box. Is there a config item I missed? I can't find any reference in your manual or the GTX 33 manual. On the ground, all targets display normal.

Thanksl.

Vic

Rob Hickman
06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
You need to enable the Transponder menu in the AF-5000 so you can then configure the aircraft N-Number and ICAO address. Once you have them configured you can turn off the Transponder menu.

brianjohnson
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
How do you eliminate it when you don't have ADS-B out? I fly in a busy area and am often close enough to other ADS-B aircraft to get everything. It's quite unnerving.

Rob Hickman
06-24-2014, 12:54 PM
How do you eliminate it when you don't have ADS-B out? I fly in a busy area and am often close enough to other ADS-B aircraft to get everything. It's quite unnerving.

Did you try the instructions I posted just before your post?

You need to enable the Transponder menu in the AF-5000 so you can then configure the aircraft N-Number and ICAO address. Once you have them configured you can turn off the Transponder menu.

Rob Hickman
06-24-2014, 12:55 PM
This should eliminate you as a target, it will not turn off the other traffic.

brianjohnson
06-25-2014, 05:46 AM
I don't understand how that would work since I'm not transmitting any info. I don't know what an ICAO address is, I assume that is something you have with ADS-B out? I only have ADS-B in.

This should eliminate you as a target, it will not turn off the other traffic.

Rob Hickman
06-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Your correct, I messed that up. I will see what we can do in software to solve it.

brianjohnson
06-25-2014, 10:47 AM
The ability to turn off traffic would be enough for me. It's really not that useful if you don't have ADS-B out. Another suggestion I would make is to merge traffic targets depending on the display resolution. In congested areas the screen gets quite cluttered and all I care about is the closet one in a group.

Your correct, I messed that up. I will see what we can do in software to solve it.

brianjohnson
06-26-2014, 01:49 PM
In fact, given the current state of the traffic clutter, I would actually prefer to be able to turn it off. When I'm in an area where I receive all the traffic it's overwhelming and I can't read anything on the map. When I'm not it's basically useless anyway.

kbehrent
07-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I have a 4500, gtx-330 and using the NavWorx 600-B transceiver and I have added the necessary connections and config so that it does not show "my ghost". However, this only seems to work for the Seattle area ADSB and when I travel to Portland I get the ghosting somewhere around kelso. Any idea why this is happening?

Rob Hickman
07-07-2014, 03:53 PM
You need to discuss this with Navworx, the filtering is done in the NAVWORX box.

MBehnke
08-23-2014, 07:42 AM
I installed my NavWorx box a couple of years ago, but didn't realize I needed to add wires to my GTX 327 transponder. Whenever I would be on a unique squawk code I'd see myself as a target and (some) ATC would report seeing both me and a VFR target. Recently I added the following wires:

ADS-B P35 to GTX 327 P17 for suppression of the transponder output
ADS-B P33 to GTX 327 P20 for transponder control of the ADS-B
ADS-B P32 and GTX 327 P13 both to common ground

I figured this would solve it, and when getting flight following back from OSH, Minneapolis Center didn't report any issues. But once I transferred over to Approach they reported the same issue. I emailed Navworx and Bill wrote back that there's a simple way to test if it's set up properly using their program:

Simply connect the UAT console to the ADS600-B.
1. Set the transponder to squawk 1234.
2. From the STATUS page of the console, verify that the transponder shows 1234
If you don’t receive the squawk code from the transponder, then the transponder is either not wired correctly, or it is not configured for REMOTE.
While you are at it, verify that the UAT software is 4.0.0 or later. If not, download the UAT console from our website (main page, bottom of page), and update your unit.

Without changing anything, their program showed the transponder and ADSB box weren't talking to one another. I tried to configure my 327 so that the Serial Out would be set to REMOTE, but that wasn't even an option in the manual. I found out that the firmware on my 327 was 2.02 (version shows at startup) which didn't have that config option. I had the software upgraded on my 327, popped it back in and tested again. Now my transponder and ADSB box were talking, but the squawk code the Navworx box wasn't changing, still stuck on 1200, even when I changed the 327 to 1234. I finally clicked the upgrade option in the ADSB program because I could see that it was still on 3.10.something. Once the ADSB box was upgraded to their latest software everything checked out.

Long story short, make sure:

- Wires between Navworx ADSB and transponder are correct
- Transponder output set to REMOTE (may need to upgrade firmware)
- Navworx ADS-B box has at least 4.0 software

Note, I'm assuming that because Minneapolis Center didn't report any issues, whereas Approach did, not all ATC is seeing ADSB traffic on their screens. The Navworx software is great for testing if you've got everything working properly.

9/15 Update: Made a flight from Anoka-Blaine (Minneapolis area) to Buffalo, NY and back. We went thru Minneapolis Class B, south around Chicago, stopped at Ft. Wayne, IN then continued thru Cleveland Class B until landing at KBUF. We were IFR most of the way out, VFR with flight following much of the way back, and didn't have any complaints from any controllers along the way. ADS-B traffic and weather was great the whole way.

brianjohnson
12-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Any update on this? It seems pretty straightforward to have an option to turn off traffic. I want to be able to keep my ADSB without the scary and annoying "me" traffic target